Animals / Pet Licensing

Are dogs allowed in the parks?

Only service animals used by persons with disabilities are allowed at City parks except leashed dogs are allowed on the recreational trail at Prairie View Park.

Do l need to clean up after my animal?

Yes, anyone having control or custody of an animal must promptly clean up, remove and lawfully dispose of the solid waste deposited by such animal upon public property, public right-of-way, or property of another person. Public right-of-way includes the area between the sidewalks and curbs.

Do animals have to be on a leash?

The Walcott City Code requires animals to be leashed when not on the owner's property. An owner's property does not include the sidewalk and area between the sidewalk and curb.

What animals are not allowed in Walcott City limits?

No person shall keep or permit to be kept any dangerous animal. The definition of "dangerous animal" is found in Chapter 57 of the Walcott City Code. Pit Bulls are included in the dangerous animal definition, therefore are prohibited in city limits. Certain other dangerous animals, listed in Chapter 717F.1, paragraph 5a, of the Code of Iowa are specifically prohibited and regulated by the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship. 

How many pets am I allowed to have?

You are allowed to have four dogs and/or four cat, over the age of six months, unless such animals are in a licensed kennel or pet shop, veterinary clinic, or animal grooming shop.

Does my dog or cat require a city license?

Yes. Chapter 56 of the Walcott city code states "Every owner of a dog or cat over the age of six (6) months shall procure a dog or cat license from the Clerk on or before the first day of April of each year." The license fee is $3.00 per animal before April 1st. After April 1st a delinquent fee of $1.00 is added. Each year you will need to bring proof of current rabies vaccination certificate.

Building Inspection Services

What do I need to do to open a new business?

It is recommended that you come to City Hall before signing a lease or buying any property to make sure that your business can be placed on the property you want. Zoning regulations limit where many kinds of businesses can locate. Fire and building codes may also require substantial renovations in order to make your business safe for you, your employees, your customers and your neighbors. Inspections are free and a detailed list of all work that will be required to open your business will be given to you so you can make an informed decision about acquiring the property. Additionally, every commercial property in the City is inspected annually free of charge for continued compliance with the fire and life safety codes.

How do I schedule an inspection?

Building Inspection office hours may vary based on the needs of those scheduling inspections but City Hall is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday. Most inspections will be performed between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm unless prior arrangements are made. Inspections can be scheduled by calling our office at (563) 284-6571, Ext. 18.

How do I get a permit application?

Application forms for building and electrical/plumbing/mechanical work are available on our website. Fill them out and submit them when you are ready to proceed.

As a homeowner, can I do my own work?

Yes, an owner and occupant of a residential non-rental property can do their own building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work. The owner does not need to be licensed in any of these areas; however state law requires that the property be the owner's primary residence for at least twelve months after completion of the work. Rental properties must have licensed electrical, plumbing and mechanical contractors perform work.

For Additions and Alterations:

Additions to homes and businesses also require a site plan showing the property lines, existing structures, the addition and distances from the addition to property lines. Alterations, renovations and remodelings may also require building plans, depending on the scope of the project. Please call to find out if you will need plans for your project prior to making application for your permits. Additions for homes and businesses on septic tanks and wells must have the approval of the Scott County Health Department prior to applying for a building permit. If your facility required that your building plans be reviewed by the State of Iowa Fire Marshal's Office, additions and renovations to your structure must also be reviewed by the state prior to the issuance of building permits.

For New Commercial Permits:

Visit the City of Walcott Building and Zoning Departments to identify all specific information relevant to your project. Undeveloped property (no existing structures) must submit an engineered site plan for all new construction development which details topography, FEMA flood areas, parking and fire access, utility, roadway, building location, property lines, and any additional information which may be necessary to fully develop the property. Site plans must be submitted to the Planning and Zoning Commission and the City Engineer for approvals before any permitting to begin work of any kind can be issued. Site work should not be started until approvals are received as many things may cause the movement of buildings, parking areas, etc., before the final approvals can be granted. The City of Walcott is not responsible for determining the location of any items on your property other than existing water and sewer connections. Once Zoning and Engineering approvals are obtained, building construction plans and a final site plan must be submitted for review by the Building Inspections Department. It is recommended that all commercial building plans be drawn by an Iowa licensed architect or engineer. All building plans must contain enough detail to determine if all relevant code requirements are being met. Iowa law requires that most commercial projects be drawn by a licensed architect or engineer. To determine if building plans for your project must be completed by a licensed design professional, please contact our office at (563) 284-6571, Ext. 18. In addition to local plan review, all plans for healthcare facilities, schools, daycares, food service facilities, restaurants, hotels/motels, and public swimming pools must also be submitted to the Scott County Health Department for review and approval prior to issuance of any permits. Additionally, any school, college, university, daycare, correctional, gaming, or healthcare facility must also be reviewed by the State of Iowa Fire Marshal's Office. Once all approvals are obtained, building permits can be issued. All electrical, plumbing and mechanical work must be performed by state licensed professional contractors.

For New Residential Permits:

A sketch plan of your property with the location of the home and all driveways, accessory buildings, decks, patios, etc., and distances to the property lines must be submitted along with two sets of building plans. Building plans must include floorplans of all levels showing door and window sizes and room labels (basements must be marked for unfinished/finished), elevations of all sides, a cross-section of a typical wall from footing to roof with details of materials to be used, and a foundation plan for footings. The Zoning Department will identify the property to be improved and determine the location of setbacks from property lines as well as any other zoning or development restrictions that must be met to determine if the structure will be allowed on the lot, the driveway will meet local ordinances, etc. The Building Inspection Department will review your building plans for compliance with building codes and may have questions if details are not available concerning things such as window sizes, door sizes, ceiling heights, etc. Once all approvals are obtained, your may obtain your building permit and you will receive a copy of your plans with any construction or code reference notations you must comply with to receive a certificate of occupancy. Note: All electrical, plumbing and mechanical work must be completed by a state licensed professional contractor or the homeowner who will be living in the home.

What steps are required to obtain a building permit?

The typical permitting process requires input from at least two city departments before a building permit can be issued for new construction. While not all applications follow the same path, the following steps can generally be expected.

A permit is NOT required for:
  • Replacement of non-structural, cosmetic building elements, such as: floor and wall coverings; moldings and trim; cabinets and casework
  • Replacement of electrical fixtures, switches or receptacles when wiring is not altered
  • Replacement of plumbing fixtures when water and sewer lines are not altered
  • Installation of low voltage exterior landscape lighting
Examples of everyday projects requiring permits include:
  • Converting a residence to a business
  • Constructing a deck, screened porch, or sunroom
  • Installing an irrigation system
  • Installing a swimming pool
  • Adding a ceiling fan
  • Finishing an attic or basement
  • Replacing a furnace or air conditioner
  • Replacing water heater
  • Installing gas logs, attic fans, skylights
  • Building or placing a residential accessory building
  • Installing a fence of any kind
When is a permit required?

The answer is ALMOST ALWAYS! The International Building Code states, "No person, firm or corporation shall erect, construct, enlarge, install, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building, structure, or service system without first obtaining a permit for such from the Inspections Department having jurisdiction." In other words, a permit is required anytime work is done on a building or structure, or the systems serving the structure (including plumbing, mechanical and electrical wiring) with a few exception

City Council Meetings

How do I run for Mayor or a City Council position?

The Mayor and City Council members are each elected for four-year staggered terms. City elections are held in odd-numbered years in November. A candidate must be an eligible elector in Walcott at the time of filing nomination papers and at the time of the election. Each candidate must file nomination papers with the Scott County Auditor. Copies of nomination papers and candidate's guide are available at City Hall and online at the Scott County Auditors office.

How do I obtain a copy of the City Council agenda or meeting minutes?

City Council agendas are posted on our website on Fridays preceding council meetings; they are also posted at City Hall, CBI Bank, and the Post Office.  Minutes are available on our website and published in the North Scott Press within 15 days of the meeting.

How do I have an item placed on a City Council meeting agenda?

The City Clerk's Office coordinates the agenda for all City Council meetings. City Council agenda items are due in the City Clerk's Office in City Hall by noon on the Friday preceding the Council meeting. Please contact the City Clerk at 563.284.6571 x10.

When and where does the City Council meet?

The Walcott City Council meets on the first and third Monday of each month at City Hall at 128 W. Lincoln Street at 6:00 p.m. The first meeting in September is always held on the first Tuesday, due to Labor Day.

Code Enforcement

How long do I have to shovel my sidewalks?

All public sidewalks adjoining your property must be shoveled as soon as possible after each snowfall. Typically, inspections will be performed on the first business day 24-hours after each snowfall. You will receive one notification letter each season before the City will shovel your walk for you and bill you for the service. Please make arrangements to have your walks shoveled if you will be away for an extended period during the winter.

What constitutes a public nuisance?

Public nuisances are often a difficult thing to define but any accumulation of items may be determined to be a public nuisance. Following are examples:

  • Items not normally stored outside such as upholstered furniture, appliances, etc.
  • Items which pose a hazard of serious injury such as broken glass, sharp metal edges, etc.
  • Items which allow the accumulation of water and foster the breeding of insects.
  • Items which create a danger of entrapment to small children such as refrigerators.
  • Items which create a habitat for vermin such as snakes, rats, etc.
  • Items which pose a fire hazard such as piles of dry brush, pallets, etc.
  • Items which give off noxious odors such as feces, trash, rotten food, grease, etc.
  • Garbage which is not contained in a receptacle.

Items which, because of their nature and quantity, cause a loss of value or enjoyment to adjoining property owners.

How short must I keep my grass?

City ordinances require that all grass be kept shorter than six (6) inches. You will receive one notification letter each season before the City will cut your grass for you and bill you for the service. Please make arrangements to have your grass cut if you will be away for an extended period during the grass growing season.


When are the city-wide garage sales?

The annual spring garage sale is the first Saturday in May and the fall garage sale is the second Saturday in October.

When is Walcott Day?

Walcott Day is on the third Saturday of July.

Garbage, Recycling, & Burning

What day is garbage and recycling collected and what items are eligible for recycling?

Garbage is collected every Monday, except for legal holidays, collection will be on Tuesday. Recycling is collected every other Monday. Garbage and recycling must be placed in containers provided by the City's contractor. Please have containers at curbside by 6:00 a.m. on collection days. Recycling calendars and regulations are available at City Hall or on the Sewer and Solid Waste page, under the Public Works Department.

What can be taken to the compost area?

The compost area is available for residents of the City of Walcott. There are two piles at the compost area. One pile is for composting which includes grass, leaves and garden vegetation only. The second pile is for brush, trees, and limbs. No other materials, including bags, are allowed in the area.

Is Open Burning permitted?

No, open burning is NOT permitted but the burning of natural wood or charcoal in a permanent or portable outdoor fireplace specifically designed for cooking or recreational purposes is allowed.

How do I dispose of large items, such as appliances and furniture?

The City offers a special curbside collection service for such items for a fee. Please call City Hall at 563.284.6571 x10 to schedule a pick-up or for more information.


How do I find out more about the history of Walcott?

Visit our history page! There are three Walcott history books: 1954 Centennial Book, 1976 Book, and 2004 Sesquicentennial Book. These books are available in PDF files.

Who is the local historian?

Karen Puck is our local historian. Do you have old Walcott photos or memorabilia you have questions on or want to dispose of? If so, contact Karen at 563.284.6438.


How do I obtain a Peddlers/Solicitors Permit?

Licenses are required for any person engaged in peddling and soliciting. A nonrefundable fee of $25.00 shall be paid at the time of filing an application. Applications may be obtained from the Police Chief. Before a license is issued, each application shall post a bond of $500 with the Police Chief. License fees are: $50 for up to one week, $150 for up to 6 months, $300 up to one year and $5 for a duplicate license. Certain charitable and nonprofit organizations may be exempt from theses regulations. View Chapter 122 of the Walcott City Code for complete regulations.

How do I report a street light repair?

You may contact City Hall at 563.284.6571 x10 or complete this form at Alliant Energy's website.

Call Before You Dig!

Dial 8-1-1 to arrange for utilities to be located and marked, preventing damage that can interrupt service and place the public at risk.

How do I find my lot lines?

It is the responsibility of each property owner to determine the location of his or her lot lines. An abstract will give you the dimensions of your property, however, locating the property pins located at the corners of you lot will help you determine your property boundaries. If you cannot find your property pins, you need to consider hiring a licensed land surveyor to survey your property. The City does not have a survey crew to survey private property.

What is the population of Walcott?

Our population from the 2020 Census is 1,551

Can I drive a golf cart in the City?

Yes, but you must obtain a new permit annually and adhere to the following regulations:

  • Carts are not allowed on Plainview Road (a.k.a. 60th), Walcott Rd (a.k.a. 200th Street), or Blue Grass Rd (a.k.a. 70th Ave.)
  • Carts shall not be driven on any Recreational Trail or sidewalk or in any Walcott Park.
  • Carts shall only be operated from March 1st to November 30th and from sunrise to sunset.
  • The number of occupants may not exceed the seating capacity recommended by the manufacturer. While operating, any rider must be seated on the seat and no part of the body of any rider will extend beyond the sides of the cart.
  • All operators shall observe all state and local traffic regulations.
  • No carts shall be operated or parked upon City sidewalks.
  • No cart shall be operated while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, narcotics or habit forming drugs.
  • No person shall operate a cart in a careless, reckless, or negligent manner endangering the person or property of another or causing injury or damage to the same.
  • All carts shall be equipped with a minimum of the following safety features: a slow-moving vehicle sign, a safety flag which the top shall be a minimum of five (5) feet from the ground level, adequate brakes, and a rear view mirror. 
  • If the Police Chief approves an application and issues a permit, the operator shall display the permit sticker prominently on the left side rear fender or similar component.
  • The permit may be revoked upon finding evidence that the owner or operator has violated the conditions of the permit or has abused the privilege of being a permit holder.


Can I bring alcoholic beverages to a picnic at the park?

Alcoholic beverages may be brought into City parks and consumed during the hours parks are open to the public for the purpose of a private function BUT not when the concession stands are open and alcoholic beverages are being served.

How do I rent a shelter, gazebo, or ball diamond?

Reservations may be made by contacting City Hall at 563.284.6571 x10. Reservations for each calendar year can be made on or after February 1st of each year. Shelter and gazebo reservations become effective when the reservation form and the non-refundable fee of $35.00 are remitted to the City Clerk's office. There is no charge to reserve a ball diamond. Unreserved shelters and ball diamonds will still be available to be enjoyed by the general public on a first come, first serve basis. Weekly diamond reservations are posted on the bulletin board at City Hall. A charcoal grill is available at each shelter at Victory and Wescott Parks. Shelter Reservation Form

Are dogs allowed in the parks?

Only service animals used by persons with disabilities are allowed at City parks except leashed dogs are allowed on the recreational trail at Prairie View Park.


How can I determine if someone is currently in jail?

We transfer all of our arrestees to the Scott County Jail. You will need to call the Scott County Jail at 563.326.8750 to determine if a person is incarcerated and the amount of their bond. Or you can visit their website and search by name. (Click here)

How can I obtain information on sex offenders in my neighborhood?

The Iowa State Police provides an online listing of sex offenders required to register in the State of Iowa. The database is updated daily and allows searching by name, city, county and zip code.

How do I pay a traffic ticket?

If you received a traffic ticket with a fine on it and you wish to pay the fine, you may sign the back of the copy that says "Furnish to Court" and mail the signed ticket along with check payment to: Clerk of District Court Traffic Division Scott County Courthouse 416 W. 4th Street Davenport, IA. 52801-1187

How do I pay a parking ticket?

You can pay your parking tickets by coming to Walcott City Hall during business hours, or by mailing the ticket and payment to: Walcott City Hall 128 W. Lincoln St. PO Box 247 Walcott, IA 52773

Does your police department offer fingerprinting services?

No. Currently that is not a service that we offer, however you can call the Blue Grass Police Department to set up an appointment for fingerprinting, or go to the Scott County Jail for their service. There may be a fee associated with those services.

How do I obtain a copy of a report?

You may obtain a copy of a police report by sending a payment of $4.00 to the Walcott Police Department. Include with the check an address where you want the report sent and the case or incident # for the report requested. You may also come to the police station in person to purchase your copy, however you should call ahead of time to make sure somebody will be there to meet you.

Rental Property

How do I find an apartment?

There is an apartment listing with addresses and contact information on the Forms and Documents page, under the "FAQ/How Do I" tab.

What can I do if I can't get my landlord to fix my rental?

All rental properties are inspected every two years, and at other times as needed, for compliance with the City's minimum codes for residential rental properties. If you are having a problem getting your landlord to fix items such as a leaking faucet, a broken furnace, etc., you can contact our office at (563) 284-6571, Ext. 18, to schedule an inspection of your unit. Please note we work to make sure all rental units are safe and in good repair but we have no jurisdiction over the enforcement of rental contracts. Legally, you cannot withhold payment of rent for failure to make repairs as long as you occupy the unit. After giving the owner adequate time to make required repairs, we can cite your landlord for failure to comply. However, we have no remedy for eviction for non-payment of rent.

Snow Regulations

Can I blow snow onto the street?

No, snow and ice removed from sidewalks and driveways must not be disposed of in streets or alleys. Property owners on corner lots are asked to keep access ramps open so all citizens are able to use the sidewalks. Also, for your safety, please refrain from burying any fire hydrants.

How long do I have to shovel my sidewalks?

All public sidewalks adjoining your property must be shoveled as soon as possible after each snowfall. Typically, inspections will be performed on the first business day 24-hours after each snowfall. You will receive one notification letter each season before the City will shovel your walk for you and bill you for the service. Please make arrangements to have your walks shoveled if you will be away for an extended period during the winter.

Why does the plow leave snow at my driveway?

As the plow moves down the street, snow rolls off the edge of the blade, discharging snow into driveways and around mailboxes. It is up to the property owner to remove the ridge left by the City's snow-plowing equipment.

What is the Snow Emergency Parking policy?
  • A snow emergency will automatically go into effect when snow accumulation reaches two inches. The snow emergency will stay in effect until the streets have been cleared.
  • Vehicles are not allowed to be parked on any public street during a snow emergency, except in certain designated angle parking areas. This exception does not include the north side of the 100 block of East Bryant Street.
  • Vehicles illegally parked on city streets during a snow emergency will be subject to towing and/or a ticket.


I want to plant a tree in the right-of-way, what should I do?
You may plant trees in the right-of-way but only certain species of trees may be planted and the location must be approved prior to planting. A no-charge permit is issued by the Building Inspections Department and you will be given a flag(s) to place where you want to plant the tree. An inspection must be performed to insure that there will be no issues of overhanging into the street or sidewalk and that it does not impede the view of on-coming traffic from any driveways or streets in the vicinity. Once it is approved, you are free to plant. Call our office or check out the Code of Ordinances to find out which species are approved for planting in the right-of-way.
I need to trim or cut down my tree, what should I do?

The City requires that all tree services register where they are working and supply a certificate of insurance showing adequate liability coverage to the Building Official. This is to ensure that they will be held responsible for any damage to public property, adjoining property owners or the public. In the event that something happens, i.e., a limb is dropped on a fire hydrant or a truck cracks the street curbing, the city has the information to file a claim and keep you or the taxpayers from paying for that repair. Please have your tree service come by City Hall prior to starting work.

Utility (Water/Sewage/Garbage) Billing

How do I sign up for water/sewer service?

You must come to City Hall at 128 W. Lincoln Street, Monday - Friday, between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. A picture ID is required, along with a $70 deposit. Start by completing this this form and visit our New Resident Page, under City Departments - City Clerk.

Where can I pay my utility bill?

Utility bill payments can be made by mail, at the counter inside City Hall, at drop box located outside City Hall, having payments automatically deducted from customer's bank account on the due date, or pay online with an E-Check or credit card (fees apply). EZ-Pay allows payment of your monthly bill to be automatically deducted from your checking account. You will continue to receive your monthly bill and automatic withdraw will start when it says "PAID BY DRAFT" on your bill. To enroll in EZ-Pay, fill out this form.

Skip to content