The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Tuesday, the 3rd day of January, 2017, at Walcott City Hall. Mayor John Kostichek called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present were: Tim Koehler, Virgil Wayne Latimer, Lisa Mengler, and Jacob Puck. Absent: Jackie Puck. City employees present: Jeff Blake, Josh Geigle, Randy Reimers, Lisa Rickertsen, Tom Schirman, and Paul Stagg.
Approval of Agenda. Rickertsen stated that the Resolution number under item 11 (Fire Department Report) should be listed as Resolution 2017-6. Mengler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the agenda, with correction. Motion carried.
Public Comments. Due to recent vehicle break-ins, Randy Moeller questioned having more police coverage. It was reported that the Scott County Sheriff Department does patrol Walcott and Chief Blake stated he has adjusted coverage hours in the past. John Brockmann had questions regarding connections to the new storm sewer on South Downey Street. Stagg will contact the project engineer regarding the situation. Brenda Arp expressed concerns about the curb to curb snow removal, which results in snow being placed on her sidewalk, which is adjacent to the curb. Elaine Arp questioned the snow removal procedures for the sidewalk and crossing on the north side of W. James Street, across from the school. Discussion was held on the snow plowing policy and Attorney Schirman stated he will check into the matter further.
Consent Agenda. Jacob Puck moved and Koehler seconded to approve the consent agenda including the invoices, Resolution 2017-1, Designating the North Scott Press as Official Newspaper, Resolution 2017-2 Authorizing Certain Payments Before a Council Meeting, Resolution 2017-3 Designation of Financial Institutions as Depositories, Resolution 2017-4 Establishing the Standard Mileage Rate Reimbursement, and Resolution 2017-5, Adjusting Final Delinquent Utility Accounts. Roll call carried: Jacob Puck, Koehler, Mengler, and Latimer. Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from December 19, 2016. Mengler moved and Latimer seconded to approve the minutes from December 19, 2016. Motion carried. Koehler abstained due to absence from meeting.
Appointments by Mayor. Mayor Kostichek made the following appointments:
- Park Board. Reappoint Bridget Geigle to Park Board with a term ending 12/31/21. Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the Mayor’s appointment. Motion carried.
- Council Committees:
- Police, Fire, Street Lights, Animal Control, Civil Defense, and Zoning Board of Adjustment – Latimer & Jackie Puck
- Sanitary Sewer and Solid Waste – Jackie Puck and Jacob Puck
- Streets, Parks, Equipment Operations – Koehler and Latimer
- Policy & Administration, Mayor, Council, Clerk, Treasurer, P&Z, Elections, City Hall & Building – Koehler and Mengler
- Water Plant Operations, Distribution & Maintenance – Jacob Puck and Mengler
- Mayor Pro Tem – Jacob Puck
Appointments by Council.
- Planning & Zoning Commission –Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to reappoint Mike Byington and Tom Sweeney to the Planning & Zoning Commission, terms ending 12/31/21. Motion carried.
- Zoning Board of Adjustment. Mengler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to reappoint Jason Holdorf to the Zoning Board of Adjustment, term ending 12/31/21. Motion carried.
Iowa 80 Truckstop – Right-of-Way (ROW) Transfer/Sign. Discussion was held on the ROW along Plainview Road adjacent to the Iowa 80 Truckstop property regarding a request to deed a portion of the ROW to Iowa 80 Truckstop for placement of a sign. Several questions regarding ownership and the location of a proposed sign need to be addressed. Koehler moved and Mengler seconded to table the issue until Dave Meier, Iowa 80 Truckstop, is present to answer questions. Motion carried.
Donation to Scott County Library System. Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the pledged donation of $10,000 to the Scott County Library System. Motion carried. This is payment 1 of 5, pledged to the new library project.
Donation to Durant Ambulance. Mengler moved and Latimer seconded to approve the annual donation to Durant Ambulance in the amount of $1,000. Motion carried.
Fire Department Report.
- Appointment of Fire Chief. Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve Josh Geigle as the Fire Chief, term ending 12/31/2017. Motion carried.
- Resolution 2017-6, Approving Agreement and Contract for Fire Protection and Emergency Response Services (Muscatine County). Chief Geigle stated Muscatine County has revised the 28E agreement. Following discussion, Mengler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve Resolution 2017-6. Roll call ayes: Mengler, Jacob Puck, Latimer, and Koehler. Motion carried.
Police Department Report. Chief Blake reported on the recent vehicle burglaries. Blake stated that all of the vehicles were unlocked. Discussion was held on police coverage.
City Clerk Report. Rickertsen requested permission to have Verbeke-Meyer survey the City ROW on both sides of the Main Street & Walcott Road intersection to determine the exact location of the City’s ROW for the proposed welcome signs. Koehler moved and Mengler seconded to approve contacting Verbeke-Meyer to survey the ROW’s for the proposed welcome signs. Motion carried.
Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to adjourn at 6:57 p.m. Motion carried. All votes on motions were unanimous, unless noted.