The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Monday, the 19th day of December, 2016, at Walcott City Hall. Mayor John Kostichek called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present were: Virgil Wayne Latimer, Lisa Mengler, Jacob Puck, and Jackie Puck. Absent: Tim Koehler. City employees/consultants present: Jeff Blake, Randy Reimers, Lisa Rickertsen, Tom Schirman, and Paul Stagg.
Approval of Agenda. Mengler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the agenda. Motion carried.
Public Comments. Andy Brus complimented the Public Works Department for doing a great job on the streets during recent snow. Janice Dawson reported there is a lot of ice on the street, in front of post office and bank (business area), and expressed safety concerns for residents. Stagg stated the Public Works Department will pay extra attention to that area.
Consent Agenda. Jacob Puck moved and Latimer seconded to approve the consent agenda, which includes the invoices, minutes from December 5, 2016, and the November financial reports. Motion carried.
Stanley Consultants. Engineer, Jay Brady, presented and reviewed a summary explaining the development of local limits for industrial users discharging to a city wastewater treatment plant. Local limits are limits on pollutants of concern that are discharged into the sewer system and treated at a city’s wastewater plant. The limits are designed to protect the treatment plant and the environment by limiting the amounts of certain pollutants that enter the plant. Brady reported on the recent local limits results and the next steps, including submitting the local limits study to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and meeting with and finalizing treatment agreements with the two significant industrial users. Brady also briefly discussed proposed changes to the City’s current sewer service surcharge ordinance.
Downey Street Improvements Project. Project engineer, Dennis Keitel, MSA Professional Services, Inc., was present to answer any questions regarding the project.
- Resolution 2016-65, Approving Change Order #4. Change order #4 is for the extra core-out and granular backfill due to wet unacceptable subgrade material, at a cost of $2,085.06. Mengler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve Resolution 2016-65. Roll call ayes: Mengler, Jacob Puck, Latimer, and Jackie Puck. Motion carried.
- Resolution 2016-66, Authorizing the Transfer of Funds. Jackie Puck moved and Latimer seconded to approve Resolution 2016-66. Roll call ayes: Jackie Puck, Latimer, Jacob Puck, and Mengler. Motion carried. The transfer of $1,900.11 will be from the Road Use Tax fund to the Project fund.
- Resolution 2016-67, Accepting Improvements and Authorizing Final Payment for the South Downey Street Improvements Project. Mengler moved and Latimer seconded to approve Resolution 2016-67. Roll call ayes: Mengler, Latimer, Jacob Puck, and Jackie Puck. Motion carried. The total project cost is $404,656.42 and a final payment will be sent to All American Concrete, Inc., in the amount of $22,213.63.
Downey Street Sidewalk Improvements Assessment Project.
- Resolution 2016-68, Accepting work covering the S. Downey Street Sidewalk Improvements Project. Jacob Puck moved and Latimer seconded to approve Resolution 2016-68. Roll call ayes: Jacob Puck, Latimer, Jackie Puck, and Mengler. Motion carried.
- Resolution 2016-69, Adopting Final Assessment Schedule for the Sidewalk Improvements Project and Confirming and Levying the Assessments. Jacob Puck moved and Latimer seconded to approve Resolution 2016-69. Roll call ayes: Jacob Puck, Latimer, Mengler, and Jackie Puck. Motion carried. The total cost of the sidewalk improvements project is $12,510.46, of which the sum of $6,255.23 shall be assessed against private property.
Resolution 2016-70, Approving Grant of easement for Sign Location and Use between the City of Walcott, Iowa and Eugene Meyer. Jackie Puck moved and Mengler seconded to approve Resolution 2016-70. Roll call ayes: Jackie Puck, Mengler, Latimer, and Jackie Puck. Motion carried. This easement is for a portion of property on the NE corner at 123 W. Walcott Road, for purposes of construction, installation, maintenance, repair and replacement of a municipal welcome sign, landscaping, and lighting.
Public Works Department Report. Stagg commended his staff for their response to the snow events that occurred during the last three weekends.
City Clerk Report. Rickertsen stated the next regular council meeting will be on Tuesday, January 3rd.
Attorney Report. Attorney Schirman reported on an update on the property purchase at 116 W. Lincoln Street and he is working on drafting a memo regarding a request of right-of-way use.
Council Member Comments. Mengler thanked the Police and Public Works Departments for a quick response in repairing a damaged stop sign.
Latimer moved and Mengler seconded to adjourn at 6:39 p.m. Motion carried. All votes were unanimous, unless noted.