March 17, 2014
The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Monday, the 17th day of March, 2014, at Walcott City Hall. Mayor John Kostichek called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present were: Tim Koehler, Virgil Wayne Latimer, Lisa Mengler, Jackie Puck, and Jacob Puck. Absent: None. City employees present: Jeff Blake, John Brockmann, Lisa Rickertsen, and Tom Schirman.
Jackie Puck moved and Mengler seconded to approve the agenda. Motion carried.
Consent Agenda. Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the consent agenda including the invoices, minutes from March 3, 2014, and the February 2014 financial reports. Motion carried.
Audience. Kent Arp, Eugene Meyer, and Jason Holdorf.
Resolution 2014-11, Approving Site Plan for Eugene Meyer : 123 W. Walcott Road. Attorney Schirman reported on the recommendation from the Planning & Zoning Commission to approve the Site Plan for Eugene Meyer, with the conditions as listed in Resolution 2014-11. Attorney Schirman went through the list of conditions, which include the following:
- Receipt of final information from the IDNR (Iowa Department of Natural Resources) and proof of the applicant's compliance with any steps that must be taken as a result of IDNR preliminary or final information.
- Steps previously taken or which may be taken on the property that does not require a City permit are solely at the applicant's risk and may need to be undone or changed as a result of final requirements and that such undoing or changing is the sole expense of the applicant.
- No building permit(s) will be issued until all Site Plan matters are resolved and note that building permit requirements are independent from Site Plan requirements.
- No earth will be moved onto adjacent property of if moved or to be moved onto adjacent property, submission of a written document agreeing to the same and signed by the owners(s) of the adjacent property.
Eugene Meyer and Kent Arp had no objections and agreed with the conditions. Koehler moved and Latimer seconded to approve Resolution 2014-11. Roll call ayes: Koehler, Latimer, Mengler, Jackie Puck, and Jacob Puck.
Spring Clean-up. Jacob Puck moved and Mengler seconded to schedule spring clean-up day on Saturday, May 3rdfrom 2:5 p.m. Motion carried. This will be located at the Public Works building for Walcott residents only. No electronic, business, or household hazardous waste. Tires, appliances, and bulky items will be accepted at no charge.
Gazebo & Bench Plaques at Prairie View Park. Latimer moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the Park Board's recommendation to purchase a total of seven plaques for the benches and gazebo at Prairie View Park at a cost not to exceed $975. Motion carried. The low bid was from Trophy Shoppe. Park Board member(s) will install the plaques.
Summer Youth Program. Rickertsen reported the rate for a six-week summer youth program with Scott County YMCA will increase 3% this year. The cost to the City, per participant, will be $197.45. Mengler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the 2014 Summer Youth Program. Fees will be $70 per participant for children residing in city limits or Fire District #6 and the full cost of $197.45 for non-residents. The program is for ages 5 : 12 and will run from June 16th : July 25th on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Urban Renewal Area. Discussion was held on adding property to the Consolidated Urban Renewal Area (URA) and updating the Urban Renewal Area Plan. The Main Street right-of-way and East Lincoln Street right-of-way will be added to the URA along with several parcels as discussed. The Plan will be amended to include the Main Street Enhancement project, Iowa 80 Truckstop TIF rebate, and the Municipal Building project. Rickertsen will forward the information as discussed to the bonding attorney.
Public Work's Report. Brockmann reported on the building demolition on the NW corner of Main Street and Lincoln Street, flow meter installation for the inflow and infiltration study, and submission of permit to the IDNR for the James Street water main project.
City Clerk's Report.
- Prairie View Park Native Plantings. Dan Mays' presentation on the plantings at Prairie View Park will be on Tuesday, April 22nd, at 6:30 p.m. in the Fire Meeting room.
- Housing Rehabilitation Program. Rickertsen presented information on an owner-occupied housing rehabilitation program. Discussion was held on advertising in the Walcott Chamber of Commerce newsletter, seeking interested home owners who meet the income guidelines for the Housing Fund grant through the Iowa Economic Development Authority. Koehler moved and Jackie Puck seconded to proceed with advertising for the program. Motion carried. If enough interest is generated, the grant will be applied for and if grant funds are received, they will be available to assist homeowners in the City of Walcott with the rehabilitation of their homes. A sign-up form for the program is available at City Hall.
- Building Department Report. Rickertsen distributed the February report from the Building Official.
Mayor's Report. Mayor Kostichek reported on the Splash Pad Committee and the Citizens' Municipal Building Committee meetings. He invited the Council Park Committee, Jackie Puck and Latimer, to attend the Splash Pad Committee meetings. Discussion was held on the fence installation for the future splash pad area.
Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to adjourn at 7:00 p.m. Motion carried. All votes on motions were unanimous, unless noted.