The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Monday, the 20th day of June, 2011. Mayor Jim Couper called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present were: Larry Koberg, John Kostichek, Jackie Puck, and Jacob Puck. Absent: Tim Koehler. City employees present: L. Rickertsen, J. Brockmann, T. Schirman, J. Blake, and J. Hahn.
Koberg moved and Jackie Puck seconded to approve the agenda. Motion carried.
Consent Agenda. Jackie Puck moved and Kostichek seconded to approve the consent agenda including the invoices, minutes from 06/06/ 2011, Class A liquor license renewal for Walcott Legion Post #548, Class C liquor license renewal for Weisrock, Inc. (Walcott Coliseum), cigarette permit renewals for Lampliter, Casey's, Weisrock, Inc., Pilot Travel Centers #043 & #268, and Iowa 80 Truckstop, May 2011 financial reports, and Resolution 2011-30 Transfer of Funds. Roll call ayes: Jackie Puck, Kostichek, Koberg, and Jacob Puck. Motion carried.
Street Closure Request. Brian Ehlers was present on behalf of the Walcott Community Club to request closing a portion of E. Bryant Street. Jackie Puck moved and Jacob Puck seconded to close Bryant Street, between Main Street and Henry Street, on July 1st from 4:30 p.m. : 11 p.m. for the Community Club. Motion carried. It was reported that they anticipate only closing the north side of the street.
Recreational Trail & Park Project. Discussion was held on various project concerns including: seeding, weeds, erosion/drainage, and shoulder grading. Engineer Jon White was present and reported the contractor stated the reasons they have not addressed unresolved project items was due to scheduling conflicts and weather delays. Further discussion was held on the fall "dormant" seeding and apparent lack of cover crop. White will check with the IDOT (Iowa Department of Transportation) regarding seeding options and what type of actions the City can proceed with. Jackie Puck moved and Kostichek seconded to table payment #6, in the amount of $26,294.37, to McCarthy Improvements Company until White talks to the IDOT. Motion carried.
- Fireworks Permit. Rickertsen reported all required documents were received and the Fire Chief approved the application. Kostichek moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the fireworks permit for Jon Blackert, Crater Fireworks, for Walcott Day Fireworks on Friday, July 15, 2011. Motion carried.
- Parade. Kostichek moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the Walcott Day Parade and closure of appropriate streets on July 16, 2011. Motion carried.
- Street Closures. Jacob Puck moved and Koberg seconded to approve closing E. Lincoln Street, between Grove and Century Streets on July 16, 2011. Motion carried.
- Fireworks Donation. Jackie Puck moved and Kostichek seconded to approve a donation of $1,000 to Walcott Day Committee for July 15th fireworks. Motion carried.
Codification Update. Jackie Puck moved Koberg seconded to approve hiring Iowa Codification, Inc. to complete a comprehensive update of the existing city code book at a cost of $5,200. Motion carried.
Resolution 2011-31, Awarding Contract for the N. Downey Street Pavement Improvements Project. Jackie Puck moved and Koberg seconded to approve Resolution 2011-31. Roll call ayes: Jackie Puck, Koberg, Jacob Puck, and Kostichek. Motion carried. The project was awarded to the low bidder, Muscatine Bridge Company, at a cost of $256,138.75. Motion carried.
Resolution 2011-32, Approving Contract and Bonds for the Fire Department Expansion Project. Jacob Puck moved and Kostichek seconded to approve Resolution 2011-32. Roll call ayes: Jacob Puck, Kostichek, Koberg, and Jackie Puck. Motion carried.
Resolution 2011-33, Approving Iowa 80 Fifth Addition Preliminary Plat. Jackie Puck moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve Resolution 2011-33. Roll call ayes: Jackie Puck, Jacob Puck, Kostichek, and Koberg. Motion carried.
Resolution 2011-34, Setting Employee Wages for FYE 2012. Koberg moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve Resolution 2011-34. Motion carried.
Public Works Department Report. Brockmann discussed the following issues regarding the recreational trail:
- Water is not draining in the parking lot
- Obtaining cost estimates for seeding grass next to trail versus tall prairie grass
- Reports of swimming in the ponds : which is not allowed
- Purchasing life safety vests and rings for city police and public works department vehicles
Discussion was held on Mediacom possibly changing the City's IP address which may result in potential problems with the water meter reading system.
City Attorney Report. Schirman reported he talked with two appraisers regarding property acquisition for the sewer lift station project. Consensus was to have Schirman proceed with ordering the appraisal at a cost of $1,500.
Questions/Concerns. It was reported that approximately 1,000 : 2,000 riders will be participating in an organized RAGBRAI Training Ride on Saturday, July 9th. The ride will be from Davenport to Coralville, starting at approximately 8 a.m.
Kostichek moved and Jackie Puck seconded to adjourn at 7:02 p.m. Motion carried. All votes on motions were unanimous, unless noted.