The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Monday, the 6th day of January, 2020, at Walcott City Hall. Mayor John Kostichek called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present were: Everett Bieri, John Brockmann, Lisa Mengler, Jacob Puck, and Larry Smith. Absent: None. City staff present: Jeff Blake, Lisa Rickertsen, and Paul Stagg.
Approval of Agenda. Puck moved and Smith seconded to approve the agenda. Motion carried.
Introduction of Audience/Public Comments. No public comments at this time.
Consent Agenda. Mengler moved and Puck seconded to approve the consent agenda including the invoices, minutes from December 16, 2019, Resolution 2020-1, Designating the North Scott Press as Official Newspaper, Resolution 2020-2, Authorizing Certain Payments Before a Council Meeting, Resolution 2020-3, Designation of Financial Institutions as Depositories, and Resolution 2020-4, Establishing the Standard Mileage Rate Reimbursement. Roll call ayes: Mengler, Puck, Brockmann, Bieri, and Larry Smith. Motion carried.
Appointments by Mayor. Mayor Kostichek made the following appointments:
- Park Board. Rebecca Avise to the Park Board with a term ending 12/31/24. Puck moved and Mengler seconded to approve the Mayor’s appointment. Motion carried.
- Council Committees:
- Police & Animal Control – Bieri and Mengler
- Policy & Administration/City Hall – Mengler and Puck
- Streets, Solid Waste, & Parks – Smith and Bieri
- Fire & Civil Defense – Brockmann and Smith
- Water & Sanitary Sewer – Puck and Brockmann
- Mayor Pro Tem – Jacob Puck
Appointments by Council.
- Planning & Zoning Commission. Smith moved and Bieri seconded to appoint Michael Sissel to the Planning & Zoning Commission with a term ending 12/31/24. Motion carried.
- Zoning Board of Adjustment. Puck moved and Mengler seconded to appoint Mickey Burt to the Zoning Board of Adjustment for a term ending 12/31/24. Motion carried.
- City Attorney & City Clerk. Mengler moved and Puck seconded to reappoint Tom Schirman as the City Attorney and Lisa Rickertsen as the City Clerk, terms ending 12/31/21. Motion carried.
Donation to Durant Ambulance. Smith moved and Bieri seconded to approve the annual donation to Durant Ambulance in the amount of $1,000. Motion carried.
Ordinance 510-19-Amending the Official Zoning Map. Mengler moved and Smith seconded to approve the 2nd reading of Ordinance 510-19. Roll call ayes: Mengler, Smith, Brockmann, and Bieri. Motion carried with Puck abstaining due to conflict of interest. This Ordinance changes the zoning for 210 and 230 W. Flagg Street from R-3 to R-1.
Public Works Department Report. Stagg presented a project worksheet with two bids for cleaning and televising the sanitary sewer lines north of Walcott Road (Old Hwy 6). Mengler moved and Smith seconded to approve hiring Central Iowa Televising for the sewer cleaning and televising project, at a cost not to exceed $50,000. Motion carried.
Mayor’s Report. Mayor Kostichek extended his thanks and appreciation to all city and fire department volunteers for all their services.
Council Member Comments. Brockmann commented that the condition of the graveled portion of Memorial Road has improved with the recent maintenance. Smith questioned if contractors hired by the City need or should have company signage on their vehicles. There is no such policy but if there are any issues Stagg should be contacted.
Puck moved and Smith seconded to adjourn at 6:16 p.m. Motion carried. All votes on motions were unanimous, unless noted.