The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Monday, the 3rd day of January, 2022, at Walcott City Hall. Mayor John Kostichek called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present: Everett Bieri, Harry Knutsen, Lisa Mengler, and Jacob Puck. Absent: Kirk Koberg. City staff present: Jeff Blake, Lisa Rickertsen, and Paul Stagg.
Approval of Agenda. Puck moved and Mengler seconded to approve the agenda with deletion of item 8, E. Lincoln Street Improvements Project. Motion carried.
Introduction of Audience/Public Comments. None.
Consent Agenda. Rickertsen reported on the resolutions listed in the consent agenda. Mengler moved and Bieri seconded to approve the consent agenda including the invoices, Resolution 2022-1, Designating the North Scott Press as Official Newspaper, Resolution 2022-2, Authorizing Certain Payments Before a Council Meeting, and Resolution 2022-3, Establishing the Standard Mileage Rate Reimbursement. Roll call ayes: Mengler, Bieri, Puck, and Knutsen. Motion carried.
Minutes from December 20, 2021. Puck moved and Bieri seconded to approve the minutes from December 20, 2021. Motion carried with Knutsen abstaining due to absence from meeting.
Appointments by Mayor. Mayor Kostichek made the following appointments:
- Park Board. Reappointed Kelly Quick to the Park Board with a term ending 12/31/26. Mengler moved and Puck seconded to approve the Mayor’s appointment. Motion carried.
- Council Committees:
- Police & Animal Control – Koberg and Puck
- Policy & Administration/City Hall – Bieri and Mengler
- Streets, Solid Waste, & Parks – Puck and Knutsen
- Fire & Civil Defense – Knutsen and Bieri
- Water & Sanitary Sewer – Mengler and Koberg
- Mayor Pro Tem – Jacob Puck
Appointments by Council.
- City Attorney & City Clerk. Puck moved and Bieri seconded to reappoint Tom Schirman as the City Attorney and Lisa Rickertsen as the City Clerk with terms ending 12/31/23. Motion carried.
- Planning & Zoning Commission. Mengler moved and Bieri seconded to reappoint Tom Sweeney and Joe Aubry to the Planning & Zoning Commission with terms ending 12/31/26. Motion carried.
- Zoning Board of Adjustment. Bieri moved and Puck seconded to reappoint Jason Holdorf to the Zoning Board of Adjustment with a term ending 12/31/26. Motion carried.
Stanley Consultants, Inc. Services Proposal. Stagg reported the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) requires the City to perform feasibility studies on reducing nutrient discharges from the wastewater treatment plant. A proposal and schedule was received from the engineering firm that designed the wastewater treatment plant, Stanley Consultants, Inc. Mengler moved and Bieri seconded to approve the proposal with Stanley Consultants, Inc. to conduct a wastewater nutrient study as required by the IDNR, not to exceed $27,175. Motion carried.
City Clerk’s Report. A budget meeting was scheduled for January 24th at 5:00 p.m.
Mayor’s Report. Mayor Kostichek took a moment to recognize Leon Downing who served as Walcott’s mayor for sixteen years.
Council Member Comments. Comments included possible flashing lights at the four-way stop intersection and notices for sidewalk snow removal.
Puck moved and Bieri seconded to adjourn at 6:21 p.m. Motion carried. All votes on motions were unanimous, unless noted.