The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Monday, the 21st day of December, 2020, at Walcott City Hall. Mayor John Kostichek called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present: Everett Bieri, John Brockmann, Lisa Mengler, Jacob Puck, and Larry Smith. City staff present: Jeff Blake, Lisa Rickertsen, and Paul Stagg. Due to COVID-19, this meeting was held electronically via conference call, permitted under the Iowa Code, Chapter 21.8, which allows an electronic meeting where members may participate remotely when an in-person meeting is impossible or impractical. Call-in information was provided to the public on the meeting agenda notice.
Approval of Agenda. Mengler moved and Bieri seconded to approve the agenda, with deletion of item eight, screen for Wulf Road lift station. Motion carried.
Consent Agenda. Puck moved and Bieri seconded to approve the consent agenda including the invoices and minutes from December 7, 2020. Motion carried.
Appointments by Mayor. Mayor Kostichek made the following appointments:
- Park Board. Reappointment of Brian Mengler to the Park Board with a term ending 12/31/25. Smith moved and Puck seconded to approve the Mayor’s appointment. Motion carried.
- Council Committees:
- Police & Animal Control – Brockmann and Smith
- Policy & Administration/City Hall – Puck and Bieri
- Streets, Solid Waste, & Parks – Bieri and Mengler
- Fire & Civil Defense – Mengler and Brockmann
- Water & Sanitary Sewer – Smith and Puck
- Mayor Pro Tem – Jacob Puck
Appointments by Council.
- Planning & Zoning Commission. Lisa VanderSchaaf-Miller introduced herself and expressed her interest in the opportunity to serve on the Planning & Zoning Commission. Puck moved and Mengler seconded to appoint Lisa VanderSchaaf-Miller to the Planning & Zoning Commission with a term ending 12/31/25. Motion carried.
- Zoning Board of Adjustment. Bieri moved and Smith seconded to reappoint Brent Arp to the Zoning Board of Adjustment for a term ending 12/31/25. Motion carried.
Lincoln Street Improvements Project. Stagg presented engineering proposals for topographic surveying and geotechnical exploration (soil boring) services from the City Engineer. He stated this is preliminary work that needs to be completed in order to proceed with preparing the plans and specifications for the proposed street improvements project. Brockmann questioned the need for these services and utilizing other firms. Mengler moved and Smith seconded to approve the topographic surveying services with IMEG. Motion carried with Brockmann opposing. Mengler moved and Puck seconded to approve the geotechnical exploration services with IMEG. Motion carried.
2021 Seal Coating Project. Stagg presented a project worksheet for regular street maintenance. Puck moved and Mengler seconded to approve the street maintenance project as presented, not to exceed $35,000. Motion carried. This includes spot repairs and seal coating on E. Flagg, E. Durant, E. Bryant, N. Grove Streets, from LL Pelling.
Public Works Department Report. Stagg reported on department updates, including that the new fence posts have been installed at Victory Park.
Mayor’s Report. Mayor Kostichek thanked the council members for their cooperation and working together throughout this past year.
Smith moved and Puck seconded to adjourn at 6:20 p.m. Motion carried. All votes on motions were unanimous, unless noted.