The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Monday, the 19th day of December, 2022 at Walcott City Hall. Mayor John Kostichek called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present: Everett Bieri, Kirk Koberg, Harry Knutsen, and Jacob Puck. Absent: Lisa Mengler. Staff present: Lisa Rickertsen.
Approval of Agenda. Knutsen moved and Koberg seconded to approve the agenda. Motion carried.
Public Comments. None.
Consent Agenda. Knutsen moved and Puck seconded to approve the consent agenda including the invoices, minutes from December 5, 2022, and November 2022 financial reports. Motion carried.
Appointments by Mayor. Mayor Kostichek made the following appointments:
- Council Committees:
- Police & Animal Control – Koberg and Puck
- Policy & Administration/City Hall – Bieri and Mengler
- Streets, Solid Waste, & Parks – Puck and Knutsen
- Fire & Civil Defense – Knutsen and Bieri
- Water & Sanitary Sewer – Mengler and Koberg
- Mayor Pro Tem – Jacob Puck
- Park Board. Mayor Kosticheck reappointed Mike Clayton to the Park Board with a term ending 12/31/27. Puck moved and Bieri seconded to approve the Mayor’s appointment. Motion carried.
Appointments by Council.
- Planning & Zoning Commission. Koberg moved and Knutsen seconded to reappoint Heidi Wulf to the Planning & Zoning Commission with a term ending 12/31/27. Motion carried.
- Zoning Board of Adjustment. Knutsen moved and Bieri seconded to reappoint Sandy Liebbe to the Zoning Board of Adjustment with a term ending 12/31/27. Motion carried.
City Clerk’s Report. Due to questions following a recent North Scott Press article regarding another community, Rickertsen reported on the City’s internal control procedures. She also noted an article from the North Scott Press last year stating that Walcott was among few Iowa towns properly segregating duties, according to city audits and exams.
Mayor’s Report. Mayor Kostichek reported he received a letter and a flag, from Bredenbek, Germany, recognizing the 25th anniversary of the Sister City relationship between Walcott and Bredenbek. Discussion was held on flying the flag during the next Walcott Day or community event.
Knutsen moved and Koberg seconded to adjourn at 6:22 p.m. Motion carried. All votes on motions were unanimous, unless noted.