The City of Walcott has an Aero-Mod packaged, activated sludge, mechanical treatment plant with a 2,400,000 gallon per day design capacity. The collection system is made up of nearly 60,000 lineal feet of sanitary sewer main including the Iowa 80 Truckstop and surrounding businesses.
Garbage & Recycling
- Garbage Collection: Garbage is picked up on Mondays. All garbage must be in the provided container and placed at the curb by 6:00 a.m. If New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, or Christmas Day falls on a Monday garbage will be picked up on Tuesday.If you have bulky items or extra trash that will not fit in your regular garbage tote, you may contact City Hall at 563.284.6571 x10 to arrange for curbside collection. The fee for collection will be added to your next City utility bill. Fees start at $10 and vary, depending on items collected. You may also take those items to the Scott Area Landfill at 11555 110th Avenue, Davenport, IA. For their hours and fees, you can visit their website at www.wastecom.com or call at 563.381.1300. There is no charge to dispose of residential electronic or household hazardous waste at Scott County’s facility at 5650 Carey Avenue, Davenport, IA.
- Recycling: Recycling is picked up every other Monday. All recyclables must be cleaned and placed in the provided container and placed at the curb by 6:00 a.m. No sorting is necessary. 2023 Recycling Calendar
- Appliances, Electronics, & Large Items: Set by the curb and call City Hall at 563.284.6571 x10 to arrange for pickup. Disposal fees start at $10.00 and vary, depending on items collected. A fee of $15.00 is required for TV’s, copiers and monitors. Residents can also dispose of E-Waste (defined as anything with a screen or circuit board) and household hazardous waste for free at the Scott County Electronic Demanufacturing Facility at 1048 E. 59th Street in Davenport. Check their website for drop off hours.
- Construction/Demolition Materials: These materials must be disposed of in a dumpster rented from a private garbage hauler or taken to the Scott County Area Landfill.
- Tires: Residents are responsible for taking them to the Scott County Area Landfill.
- Compost Area: This area is for Walcott residents only. Leaves, grass clippings, garden vegetation, and brush is accepted at this area. Do not leave grass or leaves in bags at the area.
- Fall Leaf Collection – Every Tuesday & Friday Fall leaf collection typically starts in October for Walcott residents. Leaves should be curbside by 8:00 a.m., in bags and tied shut. DO NOT include sticks, garden vegetation, or grass with the leaves.
- Wednesday Brush Collection: Large brush from the August 10th storm is no longer being collected curbside but it may be disposed of at the City’s compost area. Brush collection at the curb each Wednesday must not be larger than 6” diameter and 4’ length. Smaller sticks must be tied or placed in a container to be emptied. Please have small brush and sticks at the curb by 8:00 a.m. All tree limbs must be cut to four-foot lengths, bundled and tied. The City will not accept yard waste in plastic bags, tree limbs over four feet in length, any yard waste not in a container, or any containers that weigh over fifty pounds per container.
- Motor Oil: May be brought to the Public Works Department for recycling.
- Burning: Open burning is not permitted within city limits, with the exception of the burning of natural wood or charcoal in a permanent or portable outdoor fireplace specifically designed for cooking or recreational purposes is allowed.