Sewer & Solid Waste
The City of Walcott has an Aero-Mod packaged, activated sludge, mechanical treatment plant with a 2,400,000 gallon per day design capacity. The collection system is made up of nearly 60,000 lineal feet of sanitary sewer main including the Iowa 80 Truckstop and surrounding businesses.
Garbage & Recycling
- Garbage Collection: Garbage is picked up on Mondays. All garbage must be in the provided container and placed at the curb by 6:00 a.m. If New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, or Christmas Day falls on a Monday garbage will be picked up on Tuesday.
- Recycling: Recycling is picked up every other Monday. All recyclables must be cleaned and placed in the provided container and placed at the curb by 6:00 a.m. No sorting is necessary. 2018 Recycling Calendar
- Appliances, Electronics, & Large Items:Set by the curb and call City Hall at 563.284.6571 x10 to arrange for pickup. A disposal fee of $10.00 is required for most items. A fee of $15.00 is required for TV’s, copiers and monitors. Residents can also dispose of E-Waste (defined as anything with a screen or circuit board) for free at the Scott County Electronic Demanufacturing Facility at 1048 E. 59th Street in Davenport, Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Open 8 a.m. – Noon the first Saturday of the month year-round.
- Construction/Demolition Materials: These materials must be disposed of in a dumpster rented from a private garbage hauler or taken to the Scott County Landfill.
- Tires: Residents are responsible for taking them to the Scott County Area Landfill.
- Compost Area:This area is for Walcott residents only. Leaves, grass clippings, garden vegetation, and brush is accepted at this area. Do not leave grass or leaves in bags at the area.
- Yard Waste Pick Up: Yard waste will be picked up curbside each Wednesday April through mid-November. Residents utilizing this service are asked to place yard waste at the curb by 7:00 a.m. in biodegradable paper bags or a reusable container which will be dumped and returned curbside, bags will not be returned. Yard waste includes waste produced during gardening, grass clippings, leaves, flowers, and tree limbs. All tree limbs must be cut to four-foot lengths, bundled and tied. The City will not accept yard waste in plastic bags, tree limbs over four feet in length, any yard waste not in a container, or any containers that weigh over fifty pounds per container.
- Motor Oil: May be brought to the Public Works Department for recycling.
- Burning: Open burning is not permitted within city limits but the burning of natural wood or charcoal in a permanent or portable outdoor fireplace specifically designed for cooking or recreational purposes is allowed.