The semi-monthly meeting of the City Council of Walcott, Iowa, was held on Monday, the 15th day of August, 2011. Mayor Jim Couper called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Council members present were: Tim Koehler, John Kostichek, Jackie Puck, and Jacob Puck. Absent: Larry Koberg. City employees present: L. Rickertsen and T. Schirman.
Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the agenda. Motion carried.
Consent Agenda. The minutes from 08/01/2011 were removed from the consent agenda due to Koehler's absence from the last meeting. Jackie Puck moved and Kostichek seconded to approve the consent agenda including the invoices and July 2011 Financial reports. Motion carried.
Minutes from 08/01/2011. Jacob Puck moved and Kostichek seconded to approve the minutes from 08/01/2011. Koehler abstained due to absence. Motion carried.
Fire Station Expansion Project.
- Resolution 2011-40, Approving Change Order. Koehler moved and Jackie Puck seconded to approve Resolution 2011-40. Roll call ayes: Koehler, Jackie Puck, Jacob Puck, and Kostichek. Motion carried. This change order adds $2,864.63 for excavation of unsatisfactory soil conditions, bringing the contract total to $61,634.83.
- Payment Request #1. Koehler moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve payment request #1 to Sissel Construction, LLC, in the amount of $14,183.93. Motion carried.
Recreational Trail & Park Project.
- Project Punch List. Discussion was held on adding items to the project punch list prepared by Engineer, Jon White. Following discussion, Rickertsen will draft a letter to White with the additional items as discussed and request a proposed resolution from the engineer and/or contractor prior to the September 6th meeting.
- Purchase of Additional Park/Trail Rules Signs. Kostichek moved and Jacob Puck seconded to purchase four additional signs from Signs Now at a total cost of $948.28. Motion carried.
- Amenities Package Engineering Fees. Following discussion, Kostichek moved and Jackie Puck seconded to approve the Verbeke-Meyer engineering fees, in the amount of $8,500, for the Recreational Trail & Park Amenities package. Motion carried. This fee does not include construction management and project closeout services.
- Resolution 2011-41, Providing for a Notice of Hearing. Jackie Puck moved and Koehler seconded to approve Resolution 2011-41. Roll call ayes: Jackie Puck, Koehler, Jacob Puck, and Kostichek. Motion carried.
Ordinance 455-11, Adding a New Section Permitting Garages to be Located on Alleys. Kostichek moved and Jacob Puck seconded to approve the 3rd reading of Ordinance 455-11. Roll call ayes: Kostichek, Jacob Puck, Jackie Puck, and Koehler. Motion carried.
Purchase of Real Estate. Schirman requested clarification on the motions approved at the August 1st meeting regarding two real estate offers. Council consensus was that the intent of motions was that the sellers provide the Phase 1 study for each property. The motions from the August 1st meeting are as follows: Kostichek moved and Jacob Puck seconded to proceed with an offer on 106 W. Lincoln Street, not to exceed a total cost of $22,000, which includes the cost of the Phase 1 study if needed. Motion carried. Kostichek moved and Jackie Puck seconded to proceed with an offer on 118 N. Main Street, not to exceed a total cost of $65,000, which includes the costs of a Phase 1 and/or Phase 2 study if needed. Motion carried. Further discussion was held that the City may perform an asbestos test following a clean Phase 1 study. Schirman will prepare offers for the property at 118 N. Main Street and 106 W. Lincoln Street.
City Clerk's Report. Rickertsen reminded Council that the next meeting will be on Tuesday, September 6th due to the Labor Day holiday. She also reported that nomination papers are available at City Hall for the upcoming city election.
City Attorney Report. Schirman stated the appraisal on the property acquisition for the lift station project will not be completed for another month.
Jacob Puck moved and Koehler seconded to adjourn at 7:29 p.m. Motion carried. All votes on motions were unanimous, unless noted.